M A xx W Cimetière de Bracieux L L

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Better Bag

I normally bring my own bags to grocery stores and try to refuse bags when I can just carry the item in my hands. Every once in awhile, I'll forget to bring the bags in, or buy too many groceries to fit into the bags I do bring in, or just plain forget to say "Thanks, but I don't need a bag."

As of today, Whole Foods here in Austin has discontinued offering plastic bags at checkout (they'll still offer 100% recycled paper bags.) And to kick off their campaign, I got a free reusable bag from them! Now, every time I use the bag below, or any other bag I bring in, they discount 10 cents for each bag - which is double what they used to pay!


only 99 cents after today

Hopefully some other grocery stores will follow suit (ahem....HEB, Walmart, Target....) But I think these other places are still just getting used to the idea of people bringing in their own bags. I don't know how many times I've asked the bagger to not bag things in plastic before putting the items in my own canvas bag or "No, I'm not buying that green bag, it doesn't need to go in a plastic bag."

Being a typical 12 year old kid (and because everything they do embarrasses you), I remember getting embarrassed at my mom bringing in her own bags. Now, I'm glad she did that and instilled that into my head. Now I always keep one of those fold-up bags in my purse, just in case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I was reading, my chest started puffing up with pride....They didn't have those bags at our Whole Foods last time I was there. They're cool. But Halfprice books started carrying some with their logo for 99 cents, as well and Tom Thumb has black ones.