M A xx W Cimetière de Bracieux L L

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Wrapping Up for Christmas

In two weeks, Patrick and I will be heading to Houston for our annual Christmas Triangle Trek. We spend a few days before Christmas in Houston, celebrate with his family on Christmas Eve, then drive to Arlington early Christmas morning, celebrate with my family that day and spend a few days after Christmas in Arlington, then drive back to Austin. It can be exhausting, but I can't wait!

I can't believe that there are only two weeks left. I still have a number of things to order or buy and right now, everything else is piled up in our closet ready to be wrapped. Growing up, my mom was always the expert gift wrapper and bow maker. She always creates beautiful presentations for gifts, always topped with a handmade bow. She tried to teach me a number of times, saying "You can do it, it's so easy! All you do is..." But I usually just stole one of the gently used ones she had already made because I was too busy, lazy or preoccupied with something else to sit down and learn. It wasn't until I worked at The Container Store a couple of years ago that I finally learned how to make a decent bow (but nothing compared to those my mother makes) and some variations of it as well (the Aster bow is my favorite.)

Christmas seems to be the only time I sit down and wrap presents and actually look forward to it, every other time of year for birthdays, I'm just a bag and run type of girl.

No comments: